Reader Comment - How do you save that much?

02 June 2008
This was a recent question in a reader comment. I want to start by saying that getting to the point of seeing big savings on groceries did not happen over night. It was a slow process. I have found that getting HBA items for free or close to it is much easier than saving on food. Saving on your grocery budget takes a little more work, but it is worth it.

This is how I started seeing big savings at the grocery store.

1. I got all my coupons really well organized and took my coupon binder with me into every store. I am good about making lists and sticking to them, but you never know when you will find a super deal. I often find close out or unadvertised sales, that make for free or very inexpensive items when combined with a coupon.

2. I do most of my shopping at a grocery store that doubles and triples coupons. This helps keep my grocery spending low.

3. If it's not on sale, I don't buy it. I do not pay full price for much of anything anymore. The few exceptions I can think of are milk and produce. I've always been a frugal shopper, but now I've taken it to the extreme. In fact there are somethings I refuse to pay for at all anymore, because I know they will eventually be free after coupon during a sale if I just have patience. Examples of this are BBQ sauce and lots of HBA stuff like deodorant, toothpaste, and razors.

4. Stockpile! I do not hesitate to really stock up on good deals. My HBA stockpile is always in better shape than my food stockpile, but that is just how the deals seem to go lately. My last great food stockpile deal was pot roast at less than $1 a pound. I filled half my freezer! I try to stock up on the things my family eats the most, but will bulk purchase all sorts of foods when the are free/almost free. Having a well supplied stockpile will really help with your food costs as you won't need to buy as much.

This is how I save so much on groceries. Sometimes the sales aren't great for awhile and we eat out of the pantry a lot. But, using coupons has helped us over come the "feast or famine" lifestyle we once had. It takes awhile to get the hang of it and to build up a healthy stockpile, but it is very much worth the effort. If you have any questions, please email or comment and I'll do my best to be helpful.

Happy Saving!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a new reader of your blog but wanted to comment and tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your posts!

One of the things I hear most frequently is "Wow, you saved a bunch of money," from cashiers and then when I start to explain it to them and give them reference sites to visit they say, "Oh, I don't have time for that." *sigh*

I do hope you get to feeling better soon!

Nessa said...

tammy-
I am so glad you enjoy reading my blog!

I hear the same thing from cashiers all the time. It makes me sad that they think they are too busy to learn how to save. But then, I thought for a long time that it was just too complicated. I sure am glad I came around!

Thank you so much for the well wishes! I really appreciate it!

Nessa

Little April said...

I am new at this frugal game all the smart moms seem to be playing, thanks for all your helpful post!!

Anonymous said...

These are great tips! I am going to start putting them to use!

Kelly said...

Great tips!